Get ready with your raincoats and umbrella, the rainy season is here. Wearing plastic boots has become fashionable not only for the old people and market vendors but as well as some teenagers showing off their pricey colorful boots. Classes has been suspended several times since the start of the school year due to heavy rains and severe flooding in some areas.
Rainy days reminded me so much of my happy childhood days. When I was a kid, I love it when it rains because of these:
- No classes. We don't have to wake up early just to go to school. Suspension of classes were announced much earlier.
- No school work assignments.
- We were allowed to play in the rain. We play boat race, we cut out our old slippers into a small boat complete with flag and we race it into the stream of water across our house. During my time, there were no clogged drainage and the streets are clean. Leptospirosis was never heard of during those times.
- We have "ginataan" for merienda. If you grew up in the Philippines, this is one comfort food that you will surely miss eating during cold rainy days.
|ginataan - dessert made with thick coconut milk, tubers, tapioca pearls and sago (ask.com)|
- Playing hide and seek inside the house. My mom usually don't allow us to play inside our house because of the mess we create but rainy days is an exception. Since there's always brown-outs/blackouts during this time, I enjoyed playing this game with my siblings.
- I can stay up late, if the classes are still suspended for next day.